Champion for Children (CFC) Tax Credit
NOTE: Champion for Children Tax Credit (formerly known as the Children in Crisis Tax Credit) is reauthorized as of March 29, 2013.
Under Section 135.341, RSMo, contributions made to an eligible agency on or after January 1, 2013 may qualify for the Champion for Children Tax Credit.
- Provides a tax credit for contributions made to a qualified agency as determined by the Department of Social Services.
- Any individual or corporation that has income tax due under Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding taxes withheld under Sections 143.191 to 143.265, RSMo, and that makes a contribution to a qualified agency.
How the Program Works
- A Champion for Children Tax Credit may be claimed in an amount equal to fifty percent of a contribution made to a qualified agency. The minimum contribution amount is $100 dollars.
Eligible Use of Tax Credit
- Any amount of tax credit which exceeds the tax due may be carried forward to the next four subsequent years, not to exceed a total of five years. The CFC tax credit is nonrefundable and may be assigned, transferred, or sold.
Procedures to Claim the Credit
- To claim the Champion for Children Tax Credit, the taxpayer must attach Form MO-CFC or a copy of the contribution verification provided by the qualifying agency, to the income tax return along with a completed Form MO-TC.
- The cumulative amount of the tax credits redeemed shall not exceed a total of $1,000,000 dollars in any tax year. The amount available shall be equally divided among the three qualified agencies: CASA, child advocacy centers, or crisis care centers to be used towards tax credits issued. In the event the total number of tax credits claimed for any one agency exceeds the amount available for that agency, the amount redeemed shall and will be apportioned equally to all eligible taxpayers claiming the credit under that agency.
- All claimants that claim the Champion for Children Tax Credit must file a return between July 1 through April 15 of each fiscal year.
This credit may be applied to the taxpayer’s individual income tax, corporation income tax, or any other tax incurred under the provisions of Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding state withholding tax.
- Form MO-TC, Miscellaneous Tax Credits
- Form MO-CFC, Champion for Children
- Individual Income Tax Forms
- Business Tax Forms
Contact Missouri Department of Revenue, Taxation Division
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 573-526-8733 (for individual tax)
- Phone: 573-751-4541 (for business tax)