April 8, 2014
Missouri Department of Revenue offers tips for tax return filers before April 15 deadline
JEFFERSON CITY - With the April 15 deadline to file state tax returns approaching, the Missouri Department of Revenue offers the following advice:
- File electronically if possible. E-filing is a convenient, quicker and more accurate and secure way to file your return.
- Sign your returns, double check all math computations and make sure all necessary forms are attached. (These steps are automatic on e-filed returns.)
- File for an extension if you know you are not going to meet the April 15 deadline. Taxpayers who receive an extension of time to file their federal income tax returns will automatically be granted an extension of time to file a Missouri income tax return. A copy of the federal extension (Federal Form 4868) needs to be attached to the Missouri income tax return when it is filed. A taxpayer who receives an extension of time to file a return must still pay the tax on or before the original due date of the return.
- Filing for an extension does not extend the time to pay taxes that are due. If a citizen expects to owe state income tax, the Missouri extension Form MO-60 should be filed with a payment by the original due date of the return. A 5 percent penalty and interest will apply on any amount owed that is not paid by the original due date of the return.
- Many taxpayer questions can be answered at the Department's website. Citizens may also call 573-751-3505 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays or email the Department at [email protected]
- The Department also has tax assistance centers located in seven Missouri cities: Cape Girardeau, Jefferson City, Joplin, Kansas City, St. Joseph, St. Louis and Springfield. Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Citizens who have questions about the preparation of their tax returns can call or visit the centers.
- Missouri tax forms for Tax Year 2013 and other years are available on the Department's website. All the forms and instructions for the forms can be printed directly from the website. Some of the forms can also be filled out on the computer and then printed and mailed to the Department of Revenue. These forms print with a 2-D barcode that helps speed up processing.
- A toll-free, automated phone number to order forms is 1-800-877-6881.
Follow the Missouri Department of Revenue on Twitter @MoRevenue